Judge KP George Re: Appraisals & Taxing Issues
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
As a taxpayer and longtime small business owner, the gravity of taxing and appraisal issues could not be clearer to me. I want to reach out to you immediately to tell you that I know you are very concerned about the significantly higher appraisal values issued by the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District (FBCAD). While the FBCAD operates independently from Fort Bend County under Texas law, as your County Judge, I will do everything in my power to alleviate the financial burdens property owners are facing. I will take the following actions immediately:
- Assemble a team of stakeholders who can exhaust all local, state, and federal options to provide tax relief for our residents. We will work with and encourage ALL taxing jurisdictions within Fort Bend County to support this goal.
- Spearhead a Commissioner’s Court resolution that implores our state elected officials to change the relevant laws to allow for emergency relief during this type of disaster.
- Launch an Economic Recovery Task Force. This committee of big and small business leaders, Chambers of Commerce, and Economic Development Councils will develop a road map to safely and strategically open up sections of our economy. Relying on expert advice from our medical and healthcare personnel, we will continue to take all possible action to revitalize the local economy without compromising our residents’ wellbeing. Our small businesses have been the backbone of Fort Bend County since its founding. We will pursue every available option, and we will aggressively seek federal and state funding whenever possible.
- Provide a Taxpayer survey over the next few days. The data from this survey will be a critical tool in understanding and addressing the complex issues Fort Bend taxpayers are experiencing. Your responses will serve as a key piece to inform our decision-making.
- Sign up for Community Notifications. We will be using this tool to inform and update our community on major changes and issues related to COVID-19 including our efforts for taxpayer relief. You can sign up here: https://www.fortbendcountytx.gov/your-county/covid-19-alerts. Please share with your friends and family.
I am working around the clock to release COVID-19 facts accurately and quickly to the public for prevention and treatment to save lives. However, just as importantly, I am committed to alleviating the economic and financial impact of the pandemic so that jobs and economic activity can recover as quickly as possible.
I always say that the best thing about Fort Bend are the incredible people and businesses that call it home. In times of adversity and struggle, we as Texans come together to take care of our neighbors and community. We are Fort Bend Strong.
Please make sure to sign up for notifications and follow us on social media to receive the latest updates when they happen.
Fort Bend County Judge